my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Planet KKND 2   » Map Editing   » Urban and Highland Tilesets

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urban and Highland Tilesets
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted January 28, 2002 17:30     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I downloaded the Raw Urban and Highland tile sets so I could tinker around and try to make a map or two (never tried this before). However, they were saved in .tga format and KME does not recognize them. I tried using Paint Shop Pro 6 to convert them over to .bmp format and they now look funky. My computer's OS is Windows ME with 768 ram and 700 Athlon processor. My KME only recognizes .bmp tile sets--does anyone else have KME that recognizes .tga file format or knows how to add another format to KME?

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Posts: 86 | From: Turlock, California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
BennyBarrageCraft
Member # 3

Member Rated:

posted January 29, 2002 20:36     Profile for BennyBarrageCraft     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you buy a box of FruitLoops in the next month or two,(the one with the Goofy Skateboarding Preview demo CD)
<<<<<DO NOT INSTALL IT!!!!!!>>>>>

Week before last I purchased a 64MB Visiontek GeForce3 Ti200. I installed it. It worked flawlessly. Max Payne and Secret Service ran perfectly at full detail.
My roomate convinced me to install the Goofy demo. Hell I just got a brand new GFX card, hell yeah it would play it, easy. Well halfway through trying out Goofy, the graphics started screwing up, but i kept playing it anyway. The graphics got worse and worse and the computer lagged until I couldn't tell where I was going. Then the computer froze. I shut the power off. Then I rebooted, and my Windows was F****ED

Now WindowsME is unstable anyway, but it was really screwed now. DAMN!!!!

Well anyway, I had to wipe my HDD and then I installed Win2000. Well, anyway...don't bother with Goofy. Oh yeah , and screw Disney....

PeeDee, your OS is perfect for making missions. KME works best in WinME. The imaging program I used for converting the TGAs to BMPs was
Irfanview

Its very frustrating trying to make tilesets, as you all have probably guessed, I've given up. When MH made the RAW tilesets, they should've split each tile up, and not made one big ring like with the cliffs. This makes it really hard to split them and make them look good. The roads, trees, and bridges are also hard to make.

I've noticed in KME that when you import new tiles, their sizes need to be in multiples of 32.. So like one section of grass or water would need to be 32x32pixels or 32x64pixels or 256x512pixels, or any combination like that. They can be as big as you want though.

KME will only recognize BMPs, and will only import 8-bit(256color) images.
You can use irfanview to convert them, it works quite well.

With my total frustration with the new tilesets, I gave up. I thought of some of the mind-blowingly creative KKND3 stories KkndMaster cooked up, and I started trying to make a space tileset. The idea was quickly shot down when I imported a star filled image into KME and it was really terrible looking. Ack!!!

I'd say with KME is fine for making levels, but with the current RAW tilesets, KME is not very functional. I think if MH used this editor to make KKND2, thats why they only included one partial tileset with KME. KME is too damn hard to use!!!!!

I'm not passing the tileset torch, cause I pretty much dropped the damn thing in the toilet.
None of my tiles fit together to where they looked right.

Anyone who wants to try and make the new tilesets, go ahead. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

--------------------

Posts: 148 | From: Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Der Bezwinger
Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted January 30, 2002 12:35     Profile for Der Bezwinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i asked u 2 month ago if i could help u, now its my turn...
But first we should try to get the better editor from Justin, I ve read his post 2 month ago, and i know its very difficult/critical for him to give us such a "big" program. But he can be sure that we neither won't create a new game or something, nor sell the source code.
Justin, please trust us, we neeeeeeeed more maps!!!!!!!

--------------------

Posts: 295 | From: Germany/Pfronten | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted February 16, 2002 17:34     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FYI:
Just a note to let others know that I have been converting the tga format tile sets over to individual bmp files. I caught a horrible cold and have been under the weather for the past 2 weeks but should be back on it hard and fast probably sometime next week. I am also taking screen shots and converting some tiles for further tiles.
I have not been out of the house (except for grocery runs) in over 2 weeks. I feel like I have cabin fever.

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 08:04     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your maladies. Hope you get better soon.

Thanks for helping with the cutting process into BMP files. Hopefully this will make a huge task more manageable.

--------------------

Posts: 608 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 11:40     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad to be of assistance to all who love KKnD2. Plus I need something to keep me busy. When finished with all, I will drop to CD and mail to you along with the other 2 CDs or would you like those sooner?

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 15:06     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's very kind you. I do have a German version which I use to play multiplayer games at the moment. A US version would be cool, but its not essential at the moment as I can pdo everything else with the English version I already own.

I'll be happy to provide you with some free webspace for your troubles.

--------------------

PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2002 14:40     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The web space would be great. Do I need to do anything? Just let me know. Working diligently on the tile sets.

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 24, 2002 16:28     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey peedee how are the tile sets coming along?
Posts: 283 | From: Inside Melange Tank on heighliner | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted March 24, 2002 21:45     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Coming along quite well, very time consuming though. Why?

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted April 11, 2002 07:17     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, its very time consuming. How's your webspace going?

--------------------

PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted April 11, 2002 12:05     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haven't actually created webpage itself but have uploaded some graphic files to the ftp server info you provided to me. Is there a way I can have my own folder under the public_html to put my files in so I don't fill up the public_html. I have been trying to create a multiplayer map with my new files and keep running into problems. Still working on them though.

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

freddy the fish
Member # 25

Member Rated:

posted April 12, 2002 14:20     Profile for freddy the fish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't play yet the game hasn't come

--------------------

Exams are coming wo is me no time for games ahh the terror.

Posts: 112 | From: Underground | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Planet KKND 2

Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.04