my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Planet KKND 2   » General Discussions   » new patch doesn't work. Help!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new patch doesn't work. Help!
evolve
Member # 44

posted July 16, 2002 18:49     Profile for evolve     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ive been having problems with direct x latlely giving me the message "DDHELP caused an error in Blah blah blah"

now i know that is a direct x error so i got the patch to fix this. well the patch doesnt work nor did it it fix the problem, i still get the same message and crashing.

can anyone help me here?
\

win98se
cel 700
geforce 2
dx 8.1b
256 ram

Posts: 2 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
BennyBarrageCraft
Member # 3

Member Rated:

posted July 16, 2002 19:57     Profile for BennyBarrageCraft     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can:

1. Reinstall DirectX
2. Reinstall Win98se
3. or go here and get the program that uninstalls DirectX, then reinstall a fresh copy of DX8.1b g d luck

--------------------

Posts: 148 | From: Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
evolve
Member # 44

posted July 16, 2002 21:25     Profile for evolve     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the help benny. reinstalling win 98se is out though, 1 have a 100 gig hd and it takes a long time. reinstalling dx? hmmmm.? what would that do? do you have any evidence that this works? what is the technical reasoning for this?.

its not that i dont believe you. im just curious.

on an unrelated topic, im glad to find a working forum for an older game like this.
ive been playing the game for a while now and im very good at it. ( i make sure i win the game in 10 mins or else it crashes because of said problem> )

Posts: 2 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted July 16, 2002 22:44     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I will back up benny by saying that ddhelp or whatever might be a corrupted file in the directx program. By uninstalling you flush out those corrupted files and therefore you have a squeaky clean beginning. Now after flushing out the bad stuff you can install directx 8.1 and that should have fixed your problem.
Posts: 283 | From: Inside Melange Tank on heighliner | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 17, 2002 08:47     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Evolve!

Its nice to know that these older games are still being appreciated by other gamers out there. Soon, our membership should rise as I would really like to post out a second newsletter - there are now over 700 members there!!

With regards to Direct X, the latest version is always the best. So, if you have an older version, just upgrade.

Also, one 100GB partition is pretty dangerous. If you get a bad HD failure you could loose the whole lot! Please, please download a copy of Partition Magic 4 from my site, www.designextreme.net/downloads . This will speed up your computer and allow you to reinstall Windows (by moving the essential files and documents to a second partition).

Any queries let me know!

--------------------

Posts: 608 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 17, 2002 13:40     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you decide to uninstall DirectX with the uninstaller, DO NOT REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER at that time when it asks you to. Instead, you need to install the DirectX download FIRST. If you fail to install DirectX before rebooting, you will not be able to get Windows to boot up as DirectX is a major component -- without it Windows does not work. I had my DirectX go bad a couple of years ago and used the uninstaller and reinstalled the newly downloaded DirectX and it has worked perfectly fine since then.

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Posts: 86 | From: Turlock, California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dane345345
Member # 30

posted July 17, 2002 18:37     Profile for Dane345345     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Evovle, if you're good then at some point we will need to play each other in a Multiplayer game. You will also find that lots of us play each other in multiplayer.

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Planet KKND 2

Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.04