my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Planet KKND 2   » General Discussions   » WOW!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WOW!!!
Dominus
Member # 13

Member Rated:

posted January 03, 2002 18:13     Profile for Dominus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Again I say, WOW!!!

KKND2 stuff!!! this is very exciting indeed. I figured it must just be me who whips the game out every once in awhile for a quick play.

Firstly let me introduce myself...I am Dominus, formerly known as Saccarde. To those of you who REALLY know your KKND 2 history I was one of the 50 beta testers for the closed public release. In fact, I've still got my beta CD around here someplace...

...I didn't think anyone would remember me :-) You might have if we were in the manual credits but that never happened

Anyway, that's my cool fact. I've been a loyal fan of KKnD since it's first incarnation which was quite possibly one of the hardest RTSs of it's day with easily the best AI in the period. I, like yourselves, was one of the tidbit pests who annoyed everyone at MH (greetings to my most tolerant of humourers Judy Routt if she's around).

Being Australian helped. It was one of -the greatest- things to have known my country and neighbour state of Victoria produced one of my favourite games ever.

I used to run a KKnD2 website as well. nowhere NEAR as flashy as this one, but hell, I was hand-editing it with notepad so I guess it was alright.

Anyway, just thought I'd post and say hi to everyone. I haven't even looked around the site yet, but I'm about to go do that now.

Posts: 12 | From: Newcastle, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 03, 2002 18:38     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Dominus. Yes, I remember seeing your name, in fact you might have emailed me in the past.

I also applied for the Beta testing, but my computer was only a Pentium 100Mhz, below the required 133 for KKND 2. I made sure that I provided false info on the clock speed every time I got in touch with KKND 2.

I had a good email correspondence with Judy Routt (who no longer works at MH) and more recently, with Justin Halliday (the top dude). That's where I retrieved the official missions and the raw versions of the tilesets. He was a real help and quite frank about some of the issues surrounding KKND 2 and possible future releases of the game (check earlier forum posts for details).

Please apply for you own kknd2.com email account, by clicking Free Email.

Thanks for you comments, its really nice to read something from a real die-hard KKND2er!

--------------------

Posts: 608 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dominus
Member # 13

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 02:03     Profile for Dominus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahaha! If it's any consolation at all I fudged my system specs to get into the beta...I've got a heap of beta experience and so I know to ALWAYS list the minimum requirements or higher.

Mine was a p120 though so I don't think it made a heap of difference really. Game ran beautifully too, and I got a free copy of the game for my efforts, which consisted largely of complaining that the survivor machinegunner was too weak :-)

Judy was always terrific to talk to. I used to annoy her quite alot, but we got along pretty well. I never really spoke to Justin as much, but I ALWAYS got fobbed off onto Foo who was one of the inhouse testers I believe.

Judy however was as tight lipped as ALL other MH employees about the mysterious secret game I found on Dethkarz. In fact, Nahoo, if you could give me Justin's email addy I might pester him about it sometime. If only to gloat that I hacked the zip open and cracked the password to get the game to extract :-)

Anyway, enough of my rantings. It's nice to reminisce though.

Hey is it considered blasphemy to say I always liked KKnD1 more than #2? or might that spark a war/poll/survey/fistfight? :-)

Posts: 12 | From: Newcastle, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dominus
Member # 13

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 02:12     Profile for Dominus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ooh! some more random reminiscing trivia for you...

Me and Judy BOTH agreed that Kollateral Damage was a MUCH better subtitle than Krossfire.

That's all :-Þ

kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 02:29     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am writing a kknd 3! :-p
Posts: 283 | From: Inside Melange Tank on heighliner | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dominus
Member # 13

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 03:55     Profile for Dominus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read that mr. Navigator...what exactly do you mean by "writing"? ie coding a whole new game or scripting new missions for KKnD2 etc etc? give me all the goss!
Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 06:58     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I prefer KKND 2 over KKND. Besides being more stable, I think the terrain is far nicer to play on and some of the more powerful units fill the high-end gap left by the original. There are many other reasons why I think number 2 is better, but I won't go into these.

I noticed that Judy frequently told me to nag Jason Foo to get the answers I needed (like a better KME for one). Jason only wrote to me once or twice and the emails weren't that helpful, basically telling me that nothing could be done.

I didn't get to do the Beta testing, but my KKND 2 site (still residing at Nahoo) won a prize for being one of the best fan sites. Someone else got first prize... but it was basically a rip off of Melbourne House, Nahoo definately had more original content than any others going at the time.

They sent me a copy of Dethkarz (well, 2 copies for some reason I cannot understand), no t-shirt (they ran out) and a downloaded copy of "Splash", the very interesting HTML editor that had a mind of its own. There were some good applette downloads for Splash at the website, this helped contribute to Pass the Pigs (currently located at WarZone, another gaming site of mine).

KKNDMaster is making a complete game document with unit descriptions, storylines and so forth for KKND3.

I have invited Justin to talk with us on the forums here, so perhaps you won't need his email address.

--------------------

Dominus
Member # 13

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 08:21     Profile for Dominus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You nearly won hey? As I said, my site was pretty lame...I was using notepad to write it and it was VERY basic.

As to the differences, the reason I like KKnD1 so much is because it is so damn hard and it's very fast-paced. In context, against C&C and RA and the like, it was something completely new...if you sat around waiting to fortify your base or build the biggest units, you'd lose. you had to play hard and fast and that was the key to victory. It was refreshing, hence my love for it. Don't get me wrong though, I loved KKnD2 just as much, I just prefer #1 gameplay wise.

Yeah I found Foo to be (no offense meant) completely useless. never gave me a straight answer, and just said (as in your experience) nothing could be helped etc etc.

Hey cool. As I've probably said, I'm really impressed with what you guys are doing. I'm not terribly handy with any of the stuff you guys do, but I'm damn good at creative writing and I had a few ideas for your #3 ideas...not units or anything really, just storyline type stuff. If you guys are interested, I'd be happy to flesh them out a bit and post them for you to check out.

Der Bezwinger
Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 09:19     Profile for Der Bezwinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also prefer KKND1 for the same reasons like Dominus. I just had a pirate copy without any manual, and the readme-file was in English, but i had just now started to learn english in school, so i didn't understand how to upgrade... Add to this i only had a 486 with 80 MHz 24 MB RAM, so i had not too much fps in big fights.
I remember playing with the simple units against beetles, because i could't upgrade
But then a friend told me how to, and from this on i finished it easyly. Altogether i played it throught 3 times. 2 times with survivors.
Later i bought Xtreme (and also KKND1 in a game-collection) and was surprised how fast it ran on a 133 Pentium.
When I got Krossfire i first hated the colorful cartoon-like graphic with the new screenresolutions, but after a while i liked it.
And playing it with 3 friends in LAN was also a great feeling.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Der Bezwinger ]

--------------------

Posts: 295 | From: Germany/Pfronten | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 10:35     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well dominus let me hear some creative ideas. I haven't started on the storyline just yet but I would like to hear some. I have a few good thoughts in mind involving a space-age survivors, and in my storyline I plan to make the scourge a large part of the storyline and the game! But let me hear some ideas anyway. But I mean this thing seriously since kknd 3 is now 20 pages on a 12 font. Also why did you call me mr. navigator. if it is what I think it is then ok.
Posts: 283 | From: Inside Melange Tank on heighliner | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 12:51     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dominus,

Please feel free to email me your storyline ideas. I'd be happy to add it to the literature section (with all credit to you).

If you feel that you can help out in any area of the site, just email the stuff and it will be posted online. Some new wallpapers, screenshots, strategies and quiz questions would be cool. I want to add some more difficult quizzes to this section, just to test the more advanced gamers out there.

Help out in any way you can!

--------------------

Der Bezwinger
Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 18:04     Profile for Der Bezwinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what about a new thread where we all post the positive and the negative things of the game?(just opinions)
And of course ideas how to make it better in kknd3

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Der Bezwinger ]

--------------------

Posts: 295 | From: Germany/Pfronten | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 20:42     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go ahead and post a new Thread. It would be nice to make a new page called "Pros and Cons" of KKND2. Make sure you separate the good and bad bits, so that similar areas can be compared on two different columns.

--------------------

Dominus
Member # 13

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2002 23:45     Profile for Dominus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
terrific idea! maybe a thread as well for KKnD3 ideas? I've got a kind of vision for how I'd like to see it go, and I'm happy to share it with everyone and get some feedback!

So if that's alright I'll start a thread and post some of my ideas. As I said, this is the kind of stuff I'm good at, ideas and brainstorming and stuff like that.

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Planet KKND 2

Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.04