my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Planet KKND 2   » General Discussions   » Impressions about the game (KKND2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Impressions about the game (KKND2)
EvolvedHorse
Member # 4013

Rate Member

posted August 17, 2024 13:30     Profile for EvolvedHorse     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello! I am the new weirdo on the block and I just recently ran into this place. It is great to notice there is still a fansite for the KKND franchise after all these years.

I used to play this game with my father when I was a kid. I recently decided to archive my old videogame collection, ripping it and saving it to hard drive storage. Upon archiving KKND2 I had nostalgia bite me in the ass and I started playing again. It has been more than 20 years since I last played, but I still remembered the early Survivor missions quite well.

I think it might be a good thing to get the ball rolling if there is anybody left in this forum, so I think I will share some of my impressions of the game.

First of all, I love the fact the technology tree in KKND2 is so simple to navigate. In order to build advanced versions of something, you just upgrade the building that produces that something. No nonsense about advancing "eras" or needing a bunch of different buildings in which you have to develop a technology each.

Secondly, I like the fact most units in the game don't become really obsolete. You may be deploying gigantic Level 5 war machines, but there are still legitimate uses for Level 1 infantry. This is because units from different levels fill different strategic niches. It is not that a level 2 flamethrowing guy is better than a grenade throwing guy, but they achieve different things.

The downside to this is that quite often you end up massing low or middle level units instead of upgrading all the way to big guns because maybe level 3 vehicles are all you need at a given moment. I suspect that in online mode people resorts to spamming level 1 units.

The third point I want to touch is that counstructibles are a good idea, but I feel it fell a bit short. 95% of the time you slap a turret on the smallest base it can fit, and there are not many turrets worth using. I think only anti-aircraft, repair and (arguably) artillery see much use.

Finally, this game has the best air combat mechanic I have seen in a real time strategy game, and arguably the second best water combat.

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Posts: 2 | From: The bottom right corner of the map | Registered: Aug 2024  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Planet KKND 2

Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.04