my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Planet KKND 2   » Map Editing   » WATERFRONT.KP tileset updated

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WATERFRONT.KP tileset updated
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted June 28, 2002 20:32     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just updated the waterfront.kp tileset. There are still further tiles which need to be completed as to the bottomlands and the grassland as to the cliffs on the east side of the bridge. I will get to them next week. Hope all have fun with what I have provided. Talk at you all later as am leaving now for Yosemite Valley.

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Posts: 86 | From: Turlock, California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 01, 2002 12:32     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For some tiles, try using transparent (non-rectangular) areas so that the tiles fit together more seamlessly. This is one of the areas lacking in the desert.kp as some tiles would look better if their edges were less square.

--------------------

Posts: 608 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 02, 2002 11:06     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The .bmp file format (which KME utilizes) does not support transparency. If you would explain step-by-step how to do this, I will utilize this technique.

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 02, 2002 12:55     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the transparent colour is a shade a red, try it out.

--------------------

kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted July 03, 2002 12:08     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember working with the transparency. peedee download one of the tile set tga from the downloads section and open one of the tga files. Then where there are all of the tiles well you see that color that works like a sort of space filler. I do believe that is the color that kme identifies as transparent.
Posts: 283 | From: Inside Melange Tank on heighliner | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 04, 2002 17:17     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that is the transparency I used. what I don't understand is Nahoo's request about edges not being so square so they fit together better.

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: PeeDee ]

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 04, 2002 19:11     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, you know in KKND 2 when you create new buildings and when you place the building in the position it appears to lie on top of the landscape? The edges of the building "shape" are not square and contain lots of little edges to make it appear that the building fits into the scenery... well, this idea should be applied to objects that lie on top of the grass/water base pattern, making it easier to create seamless maps.

With the desert.kp almost all the tilesets, minus some plants and the old mining buildings have rectangular tile shapes, making it harder to place them side-by-side in a seamless manner. Sometimes I find that the mine buildings offer a good way of hiding the "gaps" in the desert.kp tileset.

It would really improve future maps if the tiles like trees/cliffs/buildings were not exactly fitting into the rectangular tile sizes, but rather, were cropped around the object itself. This would make the new tileset more flexible for mission creation.

--------------------

PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 05, 2002 13:38     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a COOL tool. Didn't know about it---just started using PSP in March and am quite a amateur---will be updating tileset. May take a while though---there are a lot of cliffs, etc., which will need to be corrected. Will provide them as soon as I get them completed. Hope the current tileset isn't in too bad of shape for messing around with at this time though. As any of you are playing and can get a good screen shot of any highland graphics---can email them to me at pdwalters1@charter.net and I will add to my collection.
If any of you would like to add any other graphics from other games---just send me screen shot and will try to add them also. Just please make sure no viruses. Thank you.

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted July 05, 2002 21:38     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I am making a level with your tileset and you know what I noticed. Well there is no shore that points to the right. Now I know that you are not finished with the tileset but I need a west pointing shore if possible.
Posts: 283 | From: Inside Melange Tank on heighliner | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 06, 2002 14:48     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you have the most current tileset?

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 06, 2002 15:44     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
do you want a west coast with no cliffs attached?

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted July 06, 2002 16:50     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that was what I was getting at. I need it in order to finish a map I started making.

Which I also think that some of you will enjoy.

PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 07, 2002 18:05     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I made two westshore graphics (westshore1.bmp and westshore2.bmp) (download them from: http://peedee.kknd2.com/Graphics/ )

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

kkndmaster
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted July 09, 2002 02:13     Profile for kkndmaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey peedee your bmp's don't work because they are in 24-bit. That causes problems with kme I assume you know.
PeeDee
Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted July 09, 2002 13:31     Profile for PeeDee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Problem has been corrected--so sorry--was in a big hurry to provide tiles to you and I just forgot to load the kknd2 palette after making the tiles. There are actually 3 new tiles.

[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: PeeDee ]

--------------------

IP 68.116.88.71

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Planet KKND 2

Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.04