my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Planet KKND 2   » General Discussions   » original KKND install problems :-/

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: original KKND install problems :-/
Tezerh
Member # 267

Rate Member

posted October 21, 2005 04:13     Profile for Tezerh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi folks

i love KKND so much that i bought a bunch of antique computer parts off ebay so i could install win95 stably. only to find that when i ran the install process and tried to run the game i get this message every time "LVL_SysInit failed ()" i also get the same result when i use DOSbox is there anything to do about this

Nahoo
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted October 21, 2005 05:20     Profile for Nahoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It sounds like a strange system problem. The game would actually be more stable on Windows 98 anyway.

I would just search around on Google for a bit to find the cause of the problem. Its almost certainly separate from the game.

--------------------

Posts: 608 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tezerh
Member # 267

Rate Member

posted October 21, 2005 09:59     Profile for Tezerh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ah ha found a way round the problem that even alows you to install it on windows XP here it is step by step

1) google DOSbox and get it, install it
2)copy the KKND cd to a folder called C:\games\kknd
3)open dosbox and put in the following

mount C C:\
mount D D:\ -t cdrom (this is your physical cdrom drive remap as appropriet)

4) change dir to D:
5)type install to start the installer press Y as soon as it asks for the driver thingy

5) everytime running kknd or the installer bump the fps upto 145000 this will make game play and install much smoother do this by pressing ctrl+F12 you will see a difference in the title bar with _ | | x

6) install maxium to C:\games\kknd4 (after install is finished it will ask you if you want to view readme) exit to find the screen goes funny this is normal just close the window or type exit and hit enter

7) run dosbox again and map the same drives as before

8) ensure your kknd disk is in the drive and again bump up the fps to atleast 145000, change dir to D:\kknd\

9)type kknd and enjoy.

also....

if it gives the LVL_sysInit failure () repeat 1-9 again except install to default dir on minimum however do not uninstall

BoffinbraiN
Member # 261

Rate Member

posted October 22, 2005 17:05     Profile for BoffinbraiN     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My goodness! What a struggle to get KKND working! There simply has to be an easier way - i.e. there are many easier ways.

As mentioned previously many times in this forum, KKND2 works just fine under Windows XP Pro (and Home, with a little tweak). I don't know why you needed to get a whole new machine for it. Unless you really wanted to use the Map Editor - in which case you could install Windows 98 as dual-boot on your machine.

Posts: 35 | From: England, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tezerh
Member # 267

Rate Member

posted October 30, 2005 14:43     Profile for Tezerh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there is jack to you can do to get krush kill n' destroy because it it is built on original DOS V5.00 not any of this crappy emulated stuff you find in windows 98 and above because KKND 2 was released in 1997 i think it would have been developed windows binerary and would not have been based on disk operating systems "DOS"

All times are Eastern Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Planet KKND 2

Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.04